Saturday 6 October 2012

“Things only have the value that we give them” – Molière


While working in Golders Green, I was arguing with some local Jews jewelry trader in the shopping centre in which I was also working, that I do not consider diamonds and gold of value at all, that I would not accept a payment with diamonds or gold. He thought that I was bluffing to impress the ladies. I did insist. Then he did offer me a very tiny diamond a bit less than a millimeters size saying if I was to refuse it. I said that if I got it I would throw it away. Every body did start laughing and telling that “don’t stop taking the pills, is not doing any good to you”. I did treat them with absolute contempt… He got upset and he gave me the diamond: “Is yours, what are you going to do now?” I asked to let clear if the diamond was mine in front of all the witnesses. He said: “Yes, it is”. So I did open the front door and throw it away to the other side of the street. Every body did start screaming like pigs going to the slaughter house, calling me and  to my mother nasty names, calling me criminal, anarchist… and they put me out of the shop, report the incident to my boss (also a Jews) and I was sacked on the spot (so it was when I did move to work in Holland Park).

But I really mean it: I do not consider gold and diamonds of more value than the technological application for what they can be used for. And the same applies about platinum or other things of that kind.

If I were to execute you and you would offer me the room filled of diamonds if I did spare your life, you could consider yourself dead,

Someone in the very far past decided for not good reason that those things were so beautiful that were worth the most valuable thing in the World but, as I said, for no good reason at all. You can not eat diamonds (a piece of quartz crystallised in a particular way…) or gold (just a bloody metal), you can do nothing at all with them except they industrial technical suitability. Full stop.

If you want to pay me for something, you need to pay me with me with currency or, a lot of better, with a signed compromise in front of witnesses to pay my rent, my food, my clothes and other “wants” that I could wish in the future for an amount equivalent to your debt with me. As simple as that. But if you offer me to pay me with gold or diamonds, try to run as fast as you can. Or see you in Court because I didn’t (and I will never will do) agree on that kind of payment.

As Molière said, those things only have the value that some brain dead in the past decided to give to them, but they have not practical value at all whatsoever.

Unfortunately, there are a massive amount of brain dead in this planet that are ready to kill without blinking an eye to get those quartz stones or those metals. I hope that not one will decide in the future that the sand and sea has the same value that the stones and metals in the future, or we are not going to be allowed to sun bath, to swim or to sail…

No comments:

Post a Comment